Friday, June 24

Geek Alert: Mapping America



So about 6 or 7 months ago I stumbled across this website and fell in love...yes, I am a big geek.
http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/explorer?view=raceethnicity&lat=38.9164&lng=-77.014&l=12

It lets you type in your area code and see really intersting things about each census track (data is from 2005-2009).

You can see race, income, housing, education, etc ---- it is fascinating to see how people have clustered and how closely disparities and geography are linked.  I would be interested to map on health issues based on various demographics.

Here are a few stat's that startle me:
- The census track right above me (lullwater, druid hills area) has 78% of elementary kids in private school even though they are zoned for an amazing school that is well ranked (morningside and springdale park!)

Below is a map of the distribution of racial/ethnic groups in Atlanta:



  
Did you find any interesting or suprising stat's in your zip code?

1 comment:

LauraFChiang said...

This just proves my point that Atlanta is a CRAZY place...I feel like the pocketing is so extreme here compared to other cities.