Wednesday, June 8

Cooking Root Vegetables

I was at Kroger the other day (the one of buford highway), and I saw all these vegetables I had never cooked with.  I felt super ambitious and looked up on my smart phone a receipe for roated root vegetables with Rosemary (Rosemary makes everything delicious)  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roasted-Root-Vegetables-with-Rosemary-106009
The recipe had lots of interesting items - many of which I had never seen raw before and a few I am not sure if I have ever even eaten.


  • red-skinned potatoes

  • celery root (celeriac), funny b/c it does taste like celery in flavor.

  • rutabagas - yes, there is something called a rutabaga 

  • carrots

  • parsnips

  • onions

  • leeks (I hope the ones I bought were not rotten - they were nasty slimy)

  • fresh rosemary

  • olive oil

  • garlic

  • I also randomly added in beets, for some reason I thought the recipe called for it.


  • Needless to say I took some pics




    Overall it was pretty tasty, I don't think I love rutabega or celery root. But it was an interesting flavor and I am glad I tried it.  Here is what it looked like once I put it in the oven.  I forgot to take a picture after - mainly because I was busy eating it.

    1 comment:

    Sara said...

    Dude. I grew up with rutabaga. Love it! We had it mashed with butter... Like mashed potatoes.

    Adam recently learned an awesome way to prepare beets. Remind me to tell you about it.