Monday, August 22

Trying to stay cool

It is a lost cause for me to try to become cool (as in the cool kid on the block) – so this blog post is simply devoted to how to stay cool from a temperature perspective – which pretty much means – leave Atlanta in search of a body of water.  Here are a few summer highlights in my attempt to stay cool

1) Go to Callaway Gardens ‘Aqua Island’ – pretty much the most fun I have had in at least a year (this sounds like sad in writing).  I had to go to a leadership camp for work (really intense 1 week experience that I am still traumatized from).  One evening after training, a bunch of my colleagues and I went to Aqua Island – a bunch of connected bouncy things in the middle of the water. You paid 10 dollars and got to be a kid again.  It was straight up like wipeout – super exhausting and awesome.  I highly recommend going to Callaway’s man made beach this time of year (school is back in session so you can cuss as needed as you play – and because it is still hot). Of course being type A we had to have a competition - let's just say I am a weak link!!
         Source: likeitalatte.blogspot.com google.com  via Gaya on Pinterest


      2) Natural Rock sliding – Elliot and I decided a few weeks ago to do a weekend away.  We went up to Clayton, GA to the Beechwood Inn (super charming inn with literally the best dinner I have eaten in years).  Clayton has all these wineries and antique shops and makes for a lovely weekend.  Best part – me sliding down a tiny natural rock slide and flipping out each time.  I loved it!!! Except for water getting in my nose each time and me worrying about the Naegleria, a microscopic ameba that can get in your nose and infect your brain (eeek!) - http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/


 

            {Pic - 2 from a winery, 2 from the Inn}





{{




      4) Shoot the hooch – also known as float down the Chattahoochee – this is an interesting one.  Tons of river operators have floating companies just outside of Atlanta, so you can rent inter-tubes and float down the river with your friends.  I use the term ‘River’ loosely.  I suggest drinking before you get there as the water is fairly dirty.  I am 98% sure we saw a guy going to the bathroom (use your imagination) – you also just see lots of trash.  That being said, with the right group it is quite fun. Be weary if the operator is too cheap, they might make you wait 2.75 hours in their parking lot before you get to go.  I did not get to take too many pics so I found some good ones online.  There is also a famous song by Alan Jackson about the river – to get you in the mood http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW5UEW2kYvc&ob=av2e (although I can’t imagine water skiing on this river?)
(this pic is from one of the nicer operations)






{Pic from the bus ride - I have never been so glad to finally get on a bus!)



4)     4) Lake Allatoona and surrounding lakes.  So a few months ago, Elliot and I and my book club friends (and their partners), went and rented a pontoon boat on Lake Allatoona for the afternoon.  It was fairly cheap when you divided it by 4 couples and it was a super short drive from Atlanta. There were these coves called “cocktail coves” where all the cool fancy pants boats would drop anchor and all float near each other and play loud music.  We almost joined in on that fun, but noticed the pontoon might not fit in super well.  I will say at one point Elliot was waving to another boat (he realllllly loves waving at people and having them wave back) and the guy gave him the bird.  Elliot was pretty sad. So maybe this is not the most family friendly lake around. 


      {Pic of Elliot jumping off the boat trying to catch a frisbee --- makes me want a dog}
{
       
       {Pic of the ladies going for a swim, I look like I am wearing a white shirt...I am not...I am just that pale!)
















3 comments:

Lauren Gase said...

Thanks for all the fab ideas, Gaya! :)

Unknown said...

Hahaha I truly laughed out loud on the makes me want a dog comment!!!!!

Gaya said...

@georgia - I love "lol-ing" - the pic really reminds me of a dog though!

@Lauren - we need to be thinking of other fun ideas for book club. Maybe whirlyball