Thursday, May 26

OPALA! Vinho Verde

So for a long time I was absolutely 100% positive that I was allergic to alcohol. I would have a horrible reaction, becoming violently ill.  Friends thought I was crazy:

"Sure Gaya...we believe you, you are "allergic to alcohol" while snickering and telling me it is also called "hung over." I was sure something is wrong so I gave up drinking entirely for a full 2-3 years. I did not have more than 3 or 4 ounces over that time period.  Then I thought one day "Gaya, you only used to drink real girly sugary drinks (think Mike Hard Lemonade & Pina Colada style), maybe you won't have the same reaction to wine and beer.

But the problem with this new idea was I hated the taste of wine and beer. I really think I have the taste buds of an 8 year old.  So I started to try to drink and build up a taste for it.  All of this is humorous because many folks try to drink less and I am over here trying to drink more - I mean - how am I ever supposed to go be wined and dined in napa some day if I don't even drink!!

So now, I was on a mission, I had to start with the world of moscatos, and rieslings...slowly and with time I am now drinking some normal white wines.  Next step in the mission learning to like red wines and beer. Any suggestions?

IMAG0117.jpgI tried a wine recently that I wanted to share with you guys.  It is the perfect summer white wine.  It is light, not overly fruity, and a tiny bit sparkly....so fabulous. It is called Opala Vinho Verde.  I bought it at Whole Foods, for 7 bucks, on sale 1 dollar off.  It is in this pretty blue tinted bottle (I am such a sucker for good marketing!!)
IMAG0114.jpg

Here is what Whole Foods says about it: Whole Foods Market carries a very special brand of Vinho Verde: Opala. Opala Vinho Verde is incredibly fresh tasting. It feels light on the palette, but packs lots of peachy and tropical fruit flavor. With a little lower alcohol level, 9%, this wine is perfect for enjoying in the warmer weather. If you’re heading poolside this is the perfect wine to grab.


No comments: