Wednesday, September 7

Professional sports

Some memories from growing up:

- Being dressed as a toddler in a cheerleading outfit of my parents favorite college football team
- Fun tailgates outside of a football game of my parents alma mater
- Hotdogs with lots of toppings on it at a professional baseball game
- My parents always in the stands at my soccer games, cheering me on

Oh wait….those things did not happen….reminder – I was a child of hippies. I have tons of fabulous memories from growing up, but none of them involved sports. I did actually play soccer my freshmen year in HS in Oklahoma, and my parents showed up to a few games, but definitely brought a book to read!
Because I did not grow up with any of this, you can imagine, I am slightly overwhelmed at these types of events as an adult. Here are some of my recent experiences:

1) Went to my first professional football game (it was just a pre-season game though, but I still count it). It was the Atlanta Falcons vs. Miami Dolphins. I might rather be at Callaway Gardens watching the “birds of prey” show with a real falcon swishing over our heads, or at the Atlanta Aquarium watching the dolphin show. Elliot and I took MARTA in and it surprisingly easy. We had great seats that Elliot got super discounted from some girl on craigslist.

{Pics from the game}







Here is what I enjoyed:
Half time- they had tiny children playing football – this was wayyyy more entertaining than watching the professionals. Although I was concerned about the risk of concussion and traumatic brain injury. People were falling all over the place, and some of the kids were really good and fast, and could skirt around the other kids and make touch-downs. I loved this part! The tiny baby cheerleaders were also entertaining. I wonder if Elliot and I have kids if we would ever allow them to do something like this, or if we would pay them to play Oregon trail at home instead (read previous posts)

Here is what I spent the majority of my time doing:
Staring at 2 guys in their 30’s who came to the game with 3 dads in their 30’s, and their 3 sons. The dad’s were fully enjoying themselves, drinking a brewsky and watching the game, they would occasionally tell their 3 boys to stop climbing the railing and stop hitting each other. The 2 guys who did not have kids (at least with them), seemed slightly annoyed, and the 3 kids who were having a great time. I also enjoyed watching the couple sitting in front of the kids and turning around and giving evil looks to the kids (but not the dads). I guess some might consider this father son bonding time?

What I did not enjoy:
People making fun of me as we walked to MARTA after the game because I walk faster than them. ANDDD that lack of vegetarian options at the game.


I also went to a Braves game – I used to go a lot when I first moved to Atlanta, but have not been in 2 or 3 years (wow-zer). It was a fun game, school was back in session and it was a week night, so it was not too crowded (which I liked). I also got a free tumbler – plastic glass with a plastic straw from Publix.



Ohhhh – and big announcement – Gaya joined a fantasy football league – so more to come on that in the near future.

What is your favorite memory from a sports game?

Ps – I would love to know who my readers are. Leave me a comment sometime and or click the link “join this site” – gracias!



5 comments:

kp said...

1) I love your hair.
2) I can't believe you went to a football game - if there weren't pictures, I may not have believed it.
3) I am one of your readers :).

Jeff and Kathryn said...

Ha ha. You sound like me. Most of the time when I'm at football games, I have no idea what is going on and just cheer when everyone else does. Our poor husbands.

Unknown said...

You are so sporty, Gaya! Haircut is super duper presh!

Gaya said...

@ KP - I love your blog. Your last one was a riot! I can't read it at work b/c I might lol.

@ Kathryn - at least you cheer! I am usually to late for it to even be appropriate. I just stare at people awkwardly

@ GA - I love it too! Except it is a mullet-y right now.

@ Beth - Glad you are reading the blog. I need to meet you sometime. Come down for a weekend with Neal - we have a guest bedroom. surely neal can find a concert of something as an excuse!!

Linsey said...

Ok, your hair is precious, precious, precious. I think your posts are absolutely hilarious. I love your view on pro football! I am going to place dibs on your kids being the cool ones that like Oregon trail :)